SubjectRe: Linux v2.6.9 and GPL Buyout
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Lee Revell wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 00:18, Lee Revell wrote:
>> On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 23:45, Ryan Anderson wrote:
>>> RCU - originally a paper, implemented in Dynix and in other operating
>>> systems from the paper (and patent), implemented in Linux as well.
>>
>> You could also make a strong argument that that patent is invalid
>> because RCU is obvious.
>
> (replying to myself to avert flames) OK, after reading the RCU docs, in
> all fairness there is a lot more to it than I described, in particular
> the database analogy is not quite valid because most of the hard parts
> are handled automagically by the DB. But, my point remains valid, RCU
> seems like too general a concept to be patentable, and would probably be
> obvious to many people on this list.
>
> Lee

Next SCO will show that some company they bought in bankrupcy
for a dollar had patented register move instructions, to whit;
"The copying of the contents of one register to another without
changing the contents of the source register...."

Then they will require that Intel, Motorola, and others pay them
billions and billions.... It's all lawyering (spelled wrong).

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 GrumpyMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.174 / U:0.508 seconds]