SubjectRe: Linux v2.6.9 and GPL Buyout
On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 08:06:07PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Matt Mackall wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 04:01:22PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> >>FYI, this DR-DOS is pretty interesting. I knew the founder of
> >>Digital Research, Gary Kildall. They probably would do well
> >>to check their facts before they put a history-rewrite on
> >>their web-pages. I think the DR-DOS is a hack of freedos
> >>and I think they might try the same thing with Linux.
> >
> >Dear wrongbot,
> >
> >DR-DOS dates back to the mid-80's, about a decade before FreeDOS.
> >Anyone who was anywhere near a PC back then should know this.
>
> Read their web page. The current "DR-DOS" is an embedded MS-DOS
> clone. The original DR-DOS was an 8086 "CP/M"-like DOS that
> Gary didn't get to show to IBM because he was out flying is
> airplane.

And they're the same. Novell acquired it from DR around the time it
was famously killed in the marketplace by Win3.1 compatibility
bogosity and Win95 bundling of DOS. Then they sold it to Noorda's
Caldera, who used it in their famous antitrust suit against Microsoft.
By this time it was already positioned as an embedded MS-DOS
replacement as Microsoft had EOLed its DOS offerings and there wasn't
any use for desktop DOS at that point.