    SubjectRe: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U8
    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:45:08 +0200
    Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:

    > http://redhat.com/~mingo/realtime-preempt/realtime-preempt-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U8

    Hi,

    i just wanted to let you know that with U8 i still experience the "pauses" i
    reported on U6, too. I would guess that it's some scheduler thing as jackd
    running SCHED_FIFO and all its clients (at least the audio threads running
    SCHED_FIFO) are not affected by the pauses (i don't see any xruns from jackd
    and audio processing happily goes along without audible dropouts).

    Also it seems that /proc/sys/kernel/trace_enabled == 1 is not the only thing
    being able to trigger the pauses. With U6 i also experienced them with
    trace_enabled == 0. I have to add though that it took quite a while for them
    to kick in (hours) after setting trace_enabled to 0. So my conclusion is
    that trace_enabled == 1 just increases the probability of such pauses by
    several magnitudes (with 1 i get about one of these pauses per 2-10 minutes,
    with 0 it took several hours for the first pause to occur and then they
    stayed less frequent than with 1).

    Ah and i forgot: dmesg -n 1 does not help..

    flo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:4.095 / U:0.032 seconds]