    SubjectRe: using crypto_digest() on non-kmalloc'd memory failures
    James Morris wrote:

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Oleg Makarenko wrote:

    >>Is there any better way to use crypto api for arc4 or similar ciphers?
    >>Cipher block size is not always a natural choice for the crypto_yield().
    >>Especially for fast ciphers (arc4) and small "block" sizes (arc4 again).
    >>

    >ARC4 is a bit strange because it's a stream cipher. I guess we could add
    >another encryption mode 'stream' which is optimized for one byte at a time
    >operation.
    >

    >- James

    That would probably require one more parameter to
    cin_encrypt/cia_decrypt, something like "nblocks" which currently is
    always 1 and one more struct crypto_alg field that would help upper
    level to decide how many blocks it can safely encrypt/decrypt() at a
    time before crypto_yield(). This value depends on algorithm speed and
    should be chosen to make overhead smaller. It could be > 1 even for
    fast block ciphers and should be > 1 for stream ciphers.

    =oleg

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.022 / U:32.012 seconds]