SubjectRe: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U5

* Kevin Hilman <kevin@hilman.org> wrote:

> > the generic semaphore implementation (which uses rwsems) makes it
> > possible to use the deadlock detection mechanism for all the mutex types
> > we currently have: semaphores, rw-semaphores, spinlock-mutexes and
> > rwlock-mutexes. Another benefit is that PREEMPT_REALTIME becomes much
> > more portable this way. (although it's still x86-only at the moment.)
>
> Speaking of portability, is anyone yet working on ports to other
> platforms? I'm particularily interested in ARM.

i'll do x64 a couple of days after stability has been reached. I dont
know of any ARM efforts though.

a good starting point would be to enhance the generic-hardirqs framework
for ARM. Generic-hardirqs is a portion of the PREEMPT_REALTIME patch
that i've split out and submitted upstream, and which is expected to be
merged into 2.6.10. The generic irq subsystem makes the irq-threading
feature really simple and maintainable. So for PREEMPT_REALTIME to work
on ARM the first step is to enable generic-hardirqs on ARM. (which is
far from simple though.)

Ingo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.992 / U:0.328 seconds]