    SubjectRe: I/O card vs linux
    Gene Heskett wrote:

    >Greetings;
    >
    >This may be OT, but can anyone advise me on a pci card thats basicly
    >an 8255 with a 34 pin or greater port on the card or back panel to
    >bring out all 3 ports, and a suitable linux compatible driver for it?

    3 possibilities: (there are more, including some with industrial
    protection, isolation, etc.)

    www.computerboards.com : PCI-DIO24 and PCI-DIO24H, $89. These are
    basically a single 8255 connected to the bus through a PCI glue chip.
    They don't seem to provide a driver, but I would think the board would
    be set up automatically by the PCI code, and then there are just the
    standard 4 ports to read/write (you just have to find the base address
    theough the PCI subsystem).

    www.ni.com : NI-PCI-6503, $145. This is a 24 I/O board, but has added
    logic (like a programmable power-on I/O state). There don't seem to be
    Linux drivers, but they may exist if you ask tech support. (NI is
    fairly Linux-friendly - they made a LabView/Linux version).

    www.byterunner.com : PCI-1284-P2, $39.95. This is a dual IEEE1284 PCI
    parallel port card, with Linux drivers. It's not quite what you're
    looking for, but it will give you 24 I/O's (16 bidir, 10 dedicated, 2
    interrupts).

    Hope this helps
    - Steve

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.029 / U:1.528 seconds]