SubjectRe: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Generic VESA framebuffer driver and Video card BOOT?
Kendall Bennett wrote:

> I would assume however a serial port console would be fine for embedded
> machines until the framebuffer driver could come up anyway.

This would be an incorrect assumption. Speaking as a developer of one
said embedded system I must have video at boot and be able to dump
critical kernel messages to the screen.

In the field, hooking up a serial cable to see why the unit doesn't boot
requires the dispatch of a tech who would have open up the unit to get
to the serial port. This costs the end client lots of $$. They don't
like that.

By having video on boot the support person can tell the end user to look
at the screen and read back any messages and then make the determination
if a tech dispatch is needed.

And its common practice to only have as many serial ports as the system
needs during runtime. During development you can dual purpose them but
in the final system their may not be a serial port free (or even
installed) to get that console info from.

--
Richard A. Smith