SubjectRe: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -VP-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U3
Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> K.R. Foley wrote:
>
>>Rui Nuno Capela:
>>
>>>I run both, on different machines.
>>>
>>>I'm actually running 2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U3 at this very moment, on my laptop
>>>(P4 2.53Ghz/UP, Mdk 10.1c) and also on my desktop machine (P4
>>>2.80Ghz/SMP/HT, SuSE 9.1).
>>>
>>>However, on the desktop (SMP/HT) I could only made it boot/init
>>>successfully with CONFIG_PREEMPT_REALTIME off. On my laptop (UP) is
>>>running pretty well on full RT.
>>
>>I'm curious what you get when you try to boot the SMP system with
>>REALTIME on? My SMP/HT system at the office works fine with this.
>>Although there is one difference that jumps out at me. I have disabled
>>ACPI. I don't have the config handy so I can't do a complete comparison,
>>just going from memory.
>>

> Hmm. The way I see it, if I say acpi=off on kernel boot, I loose HT, and
> end in a SMP enabled kernel running on only one CPU. To keep ACPI disabled
> but rely on it to show up those hyperthreaded virtual cpus on boot, one
> should say acpi=ht, I guess.
>
> Is that what you're asking?

Actually what I was asking was what messages, etc. you get before the
system fails to boot. I think Ingo already pointed out why several
people, maybe yourself included, are having problems with this patch.

As for acpi, I just disabled the power management stuff prior to
building the kernel. Of course my ht still works.

kr

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:1.103 / U:0.200 seconds]