SubjectRe: Tasklet usage?
Pierre Ossman wrote:
> Neil Horman wrote:
>
>> Pierre Ossman wrote:
>

>>> * Can tasklets be preempted?
>>

>> A tasklet can get preempted by a hard interrupt, but tasklets run in
>> interrupt context, so don't do anything in a tasklet that can call
>> schedule.
>

> Being preempted by hard interrupts is sort of the point of moving the
> stuff to a tasklet. Just as long as other tasklets and user space cannot
> preempt it.
>
> Are there any concerns when it comes to locking and tasklets? I've tried
> finding kernel-locking-HOWTO referenced in kernel-docs.txt but the link
> is dead and I can't find a mirror.

Locking in tasklets needs to be done the same way locking in interrupt
handlers is done. The only caveat that I can think of is that in the
event that you are accessing data shared with code that runs outisde of
the tasklet, you probably need to use spin_lock_bh to disable softirqs
in the latter code. In your environment, it would typically replace the
use of spin_lock_irq[save|restore].

HTH
Neil

> Rgds