SubjectRe: Generic VESA framebuffer driver and Video card BOOT?
On 14-10-2004 21:02:36, Kendall Bennett wrote:
> Hello All,
[...]
> So what we would like to find out is how much interest there might be
> in
> both an updated VESA framebuffer console driver as well as the code
> for
> the Video card BOOT process being contributed to the maintstream
> kernel.

The BOOT stuff is very interesting. Currently, both my videocards
(in the same pc)
have nice hw-specific framebuffer drivers, but they require that
the card is initialized by the bios first and this only ever
happens to one of the cards. Xfree _can_ do the job, but way
too late for setting up the framebuffer device.

> If there is interest, we would start out by first contributing the
> core
> emulator and Video BOOT code, and then work on building a better VESA
> framebuffer console driver.

Having video BOOT would be great, and please make it independent
of the framebuffer drivers. I might want to try your vesa driver,
but I might also want to use the hw-accelerated chip specific driver
that happens to need an initialized video card.

Helge Hafting

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.242 / U:4.484 seconds]