SubjectRe: Tasklet usage?
I recently made a similar change for what sounds like a similar piece of
hardware (though in our case it was filling a FIFO for output purposes,
which cannot be allowed to run empty, when we receive a FIFO-almost-empty
interrupt from the device).

The tasklet will not necessarily get run immediately, as other tasklets may
be pending on that CPU. You should be able to reduce the likelihood of this
happening by using tasklet_hi_schedule instead of tasklet_schedule, that
should put it ahead of any network, SCSI, etc. tasklets that may be pending.

Tasklets can only get interrupted by hard interrupts (which as someone
mentioned, is pretty much the point of them).

As far as rescheduling the tasklet, I believe if the tasklet hasn't started,
it will only execute once regardless of how many times you call
tasklet_schedule. If it has already started running, and the tasklet gets
scheduled, it will run again once it finishes.

Locking-wise, for any critical regions shared between the hard IRQ handler
and either the tasklet or user context, spin_lock_irqsave is what you need.
However, critical regions shared only between user context and the tasklet
can use spin_lock_bh instead (which disables only bottom-halves and
tasklets, not interrupts).