    SubjectRe: per-process shared information
    On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 12:20, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > the problem is that when ps xav wants to know the RSS it reads statm,
    > so we just cannot hurt ps xav to show the "old shared" information that
    > would be extremely slow to collect.

    Currently, ps uses /proc/*/stat for that. The /proc/*/statm
    file is read to determine TRS and DRS, which are broken now.
    That it, unless you count "ps -o OL_m" format.

    The top program uses /proc/*/statm for many more fields:

    %MEM Memory usage (RES)
    VIRT Virtual Image (kb)
    SWAP Swapped size (kb)
    RES Resident size (kb)
    CODE Code size (kb)
    DATA Data+Stack size (kb)
    SHR Shared Mem size (kb)
    nDRT Dirty Pages count

    > I was only not happy about dropping the old feature completely instead
    > of providing it with a different new API. Now I think the solution Hugh
    > just proposed with the anon_rss should mimic the old behaviour well
    > enough and it's probably the right way to go, it's still not literally
    > the same, but I doubt most people from userspace could notice the
    > difference, and most important it provides useful information, which is
    > the number of _physical_ pages mapped that aren't anonymous memory, this
    > is very valuable info and it's basically the same info that people was
    > getting from the old "shared". So I like it.

    What exactly would be the difference, and when might users see it?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.040 / U:12.804 seconds]