    SubjectRe: Fw: signed kernel modules?
    On Friday 15 October 2004 08:31, Josh Boyer wrote:
    >On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 07:10, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    >> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Roman Zippel wrote:
    >> > Hi,

    >> > Can someone please put this patch into some context, where it's
    >> > not completely pointless? As is it does not make anything more
    >> > secure. Why is the kernel more trustable than a kernel module?
    >> > If someone could show me how I can trust the running kernel, it
    >> > should be rather easy to extend the same measures to modules
    >> > without the need for this patch.
    >> >
    >> > bye, Roman
    >> > -
    >> This is just the first step, which I think must be quashed
    >> immediately. The ultimate goal is to control what you put
    >> into your computer. Eventually, some central licensing
    >> authority will certify any modules that are allowed to
    >> be run in your computer. Doesn't anybody else see this?
    >cd linux-2.6;
    >patch -R -p1 < ../<modsign patch name>
    Yes, but what happens if it gets into the tarballs from

    Stop this nonsense Linus, now.

    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
    99.27% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly attorneys please note, additions to this message
    by Gene Heskett are:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.023 / U:1.168 seconds]