SubjectRe: question about MTRR areas on x86_64
Hello,

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de> writes:
>>Markus Lidel <Markus.Lidel@shadowconnect.com> writes:
>>>Could it be because the machine has too much memory, or is there a bug in the
>>I2O driver?
>>
>>The problem comes from the BIOS who set up reg00 to be overlapping
>>over other areas. The Linux MTRR driver cannot deal with overlapping
>>MTRRs, in fact it is sometimes impossible because it could run
>>out of registers or violate some of the MTRR restrictions.

Sorry, for not answering, but somehow i never received your e-mail. :-(

> And the BIOS is using overlapping MTRRs because otherwise it would run
> out.

Okay...

>>It's a long standing problem, eventual fix will be to get rid
>>of MTRRs completely and only use PAT. But it needs a bit more work.

I've seen there is already a patch around to add initial PAT support. So
i think it's only a question of time until it is included :-D If there is
something i could help with please let me know.

Thanks to both of you for helping.

Best regards,

Markus Lidel
Markus Lidel (Senior IT Consultant)

Shadow Connect GmbH
Carl-Reisch-Weg 12
D-86381 Krumbach
Germany

Phone: +49 82 82/99 51-0
Fax: +49 82 82/99 51-11

E-Mail: Markus.Lidel@shadowconnect.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.032 / U:2.680 seconds]