    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.x wrongly recognizes USB 2.0 DVD writer
    John Stoffel wrote:

    >Ganesan> I have a NEC ND-2500A DVD writer in a ByteCC USB 2.0 external
    >Ganesan> enclosure. It's recognized perfectly in 2.4.27 (Debian
    >Ganesan> kernel-image-2.4.27-1-686 package)
    >I've got a ByteCC external enclosure too, and I can't get it to work
    >reliably under Linux or Windows under Firewire. I'd return it and get
    >something better.
    Thanks for the info. As I mentioned, the enclosure works flawlessly for
    me under 2.4.27. It's getting detected incorrectly only in 2.6.x.
    Another user reported a similar problem but was able to get dvd burning
    working by removing the checks from the writing tool. So, it looks like
    detection has been messed up only in 2.6.x.

    Once again, 2.6.8 reports it as

    Vendor: Revoltec Model: USB/IDE Bridge ( Rev: 0103
    Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi3, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

    whereas 2.4.27 correctly reports

    scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage
    Vendor: _NEC Model: DVD_RW ND-2500A
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    sr1: scsi-1 drive
    USB Mass Storage support registered.

    I checked the kernel sources. Sure enough,
    has a new entry in the 2.6 tree:

    /* <>: I don't know the name of the bridge
    * manufacturer, but I've got an external USB drive by the Revoltec company
    * that needs this. otherwise the drive is recognized as /dev/sda, but any
    * access to it blocks indefinitely.
    UNUSUAL_DEV( 0x0402, 0x5621, 0x0103, 0x0103,
    "USB/IDE Bridge (ATA/ATAPI)",

    I have not yet tested after removing this entry, but this looks to be
    the likely problem. The enclosure actually supports both 3.5 IDE hard
    disks as well as 5.25 CD/DVD drives. I have no clue why this entry
    should cause the drive to be wrongly detected. CCing linux-usb-devel for

    Please CC me on replies to linux-usb-devel since I am not subscribed to
    that list. Thanks.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.023 / U:2.052 seconds]