Subjectswsusp: 8-order allocation failure on demand (was: Re: 2.6.9-rc2-mm1 swsusp bug report.)
Date
On Wednesday 13 of October 2004 19:29, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 of October 2004 10:55, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Hi!

> > > I think it is possible. Seemingly, on my box it's only a question of
the
> > > number of apps started. I think I can work out a method to trigger it
> > > 90% of the time or so. Please let me know if it's worthy of doing.
> >
> > Yes, it would certainly help with testing...

Well, I can do that, it seems, 100% of the time.

The method is to do "init 5" (my default runlevel is 3, because vts become
unreadable after I start X), log into KDE (as a non-root), start some X apps
at random (eg. I run gkrellm, kmail, konqueror, Mozilla FireFox 32-bit w/
Flash plugin, and konsole with "su -") and run updatedb (as root, of course).

Apparently, running updatedb is essential. After it finishes, on my box, you
can forget of suspending to disk from under the X+KDE combo, even if the X
apps (ie. kmail, konqueror, FireFox) are stopped before. However, if
updatedb is not run, the box usually suspends successfully.

Greets,
RJW

--
- Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
- That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.