SubjectRe: udev: what's up with old /dev ?
>> If the initrd gets corrupted, are we just hosed?
>
>In some way, the answer is yes... I think the best is having a real,
>on-disk, full "/dev" hierarchy in case the INITRD gets lost or
>corrupted, which will still allow booting. Now, the INITRD can mount
>tmpfs over "/dev" and use udev to create needed device nodes.

And see, this is where I say, what if /dev is hosed too? If the kernel at this
point gives up, then the user has to dig up a boot CD or something worse and
start trying to fix the system.

If, however, the kernel just made /dev/console and maybe /dev/null, it could
start a shell and say "/dev missing /console device, initrd corrupted. Hit
enter for a shell or ctrl-alt-del to reboot."

As a sys-admin, I'd like that. Get me into single user mode the best you can.
If a shell can be found, that's good enough.
--
The best is the enemy of the good -- Voltaire
The Good Enough is the enemy of the Great -- Me