    SubjectRe: [patch] inotify: make user visible types portable
    On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 23:44 -0700, Paul Jackson wrote:

    > I've no doubt you're right here. But I'm a little confused.
    >
    > Are you saying to use __u32 so user code can compile with these kernel
    > headers and see your new inotify symbols w/o polluting their name space
    > with the non-underscored typedef symbols?

    I am saying I have to use __u32, because they are user visible and u32
    is not. Also, the rule is to use __u32.

    > I though such use of kernel headers in compiling user code was
    > deprecated. I'd have figured this meant while we might not go out of
    > way to break someone already doing it, we wouldn't make any effort, or
    > tolerate any ugly as sin __foo names, in order to add to the list of
    > symbols so accessible.
    >
    > If you have a few minutes more patience, perhaps you could explain
    > where my understanding departed from reality.

    How else is user-space to know about this structure?

    It has always been a no-no for user-space to access __KERNEL__ wrapped
    parts of headers, but sharing a header (or at least generating
    user-space's version of the header from the kernel header) is the only
    way to ensure that both kernel and user-space speak the same language.

    And not just structures, but flags, ioctl commands, ...

    Robert Love

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.022 / U:0.960 seconds]