    SubjectRe: 2.6.9-rc2-mm4 ps hang ?
    Hugh Dickins <> wrote:
    > lock_page inside mmap_sem a ranking bug? Please recant!

    generic_file_buffered_write() can take mmap_sem for reading while holding a
    page lock. In that rare case where the page gets unmapped even though we
    manually faulted it in.

    Now, that's lock_page->down_read versus down_read->lock_page which I
    _think_ is safe, due to down_read semantics. Even if a third thread is
    waiting for a down_write.

    Except filemap_nopage() does lock_page too, so we have

    as well.

    All this does mean that down_write cannot nest either inside or outside

    The bigger problem is ext3 and reiser3 transaction start/stop. It is
    equivalent to a down()/up() operation and we get the ranking for that
    inconsistent too. Both wrt lock_page and wrt, I think, down_read(mmap_sem).

    generic_file_buffered_write() does, effectively

    and over in do_mmap_pgoff() we nest transaction start inside

    ->transaction start

    It's all a bit of a mess. Chris Mason and I have discussed it on and off.
    I think Chris has a workload which actually does trigger a deadlock.

    Maybe dropping and retaking mmap_sem in generic_file_mmap would be a
    sufficient stopgap.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.025 / U:7.448 seconds]