SubjectRe: [patch] inotify: make user visible types portable
Paul Jackson wrote:
> Robert wrote:
>
>>The structure needs to be used exactly the same between the kernel and
>>the user. We both agree to that, right? It is user visible.
>

> Certainly the ABI, yes. These stubborn beasts called computers that we
> labour over just won't work otherwise.
>
> I'd have no objections to the user header spelling "__u32" where the
> kernel header spelled "u32".

I believe there is a long-term goal to separate out the userspace-visible part
of the kernel headers into a separate header area, and include them into the kernel.

Even without that, the headers are periodically extracted and cleaned up. Why
make that job harder than it needs to be?

Chris

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.106 / U:0.276 seconds]