    SubjectRe: Strange lockup with 2.6.0
    > > I am constantly accessing NFS with this machine.  Read and write.  It was
    >
    > How much data at one go (max)?

    I just dumped the backup I made from jaz to the nfs. I found out that some
    things didn't get backed up. I did multiple backups and one file was larger
    than the last (for the same filesystem).

    Once I copyied to nfs (which did *NOT* crash it), I ran md5sum on both nfs
    copy and jaz copy. both were exact same. then I copyied from nfs to nfs.

    The size was about 350mb. (Quite surprised about the jaz drive performance
    =)

    > > only when I backed it up with tar. In the event it doesn't lock, tar
    > > crashes w/o error/warning (over NFS).
    >
    > So, it locks not always?

    In the above case, still was booted with init=/bin/sh and did not lockup. I
    did several tar backups. Sometimes I got a segmentation fault and killed
    tar, other times I got my shell killed.

    I have not tried enabling TCP yet. I'm going to try a 2.4 kernel soon. (I
    want to stay with 2.6 since I have a DVD+RW drive)

    > > > byte or 1K or 1M? Does it lock immediately as you start the backup or
    > >
    > > It locks up usually at one point, but not always.
    >
    > Since you could backup to Jazz, looks like your filesystem is ok, NFS also
    > works in principle...

    As stated above, one of the filesystems did not completely backup.

    > > > after some time (you could start some process in the background
    > > > periodically printing some info on the terminal, like vmstat, cat
    > > > /proc/interrupts, free, tcpdump on both ends to a file...) Can you try NFS
    > >
    > > I can do this I think. It's fun when running with init being bash. It will
    > > take some time to do since I can't scroll backwards.
    >
    > You could also attach a serial console and direct the output there (then
    > you also can scroll).

    I have not retrieved this yet.

    > > > 10/100mbps?
    > >
    > > 100 FD always.
    >
    > Why I am interested in your experiences is that I also have a problem
    > transferring large (several M) files over NFS when the server is 2.6 and
    > both ends have 100 FD. (You can see my posts this week about 2.6 NFS.) And
    > in my case it TCP fixed it. But I never had hard-locks, just cp hanged in
    > D, and tcpdump showed timed out reassembly on the receiving side. But I
    > was reading from the server.

    I have done several gig of transfers to the 2.4 server. I was burning a
    bunch of data from nfs to dvd+r.

    In the tests I did above, I ran dmesg several times, Not once did I see an
    oops. I'm not sure, I may have a hardware problem (It's going to be
    replaced soon anyway)