    SubjectRe: 2.6: The hardware reports a non fatal, correctable incident occured on CPU 0.
    On Friday 09 January 2004 10:48 am, wrote:
    > Hi!
    > I did have some very scary issues today playing with 2.6. The system was
    > booted and ran several times today, the longtest uptime was approximately
    > about an hour.
    > But then shortly after having booted 2.6 I got syslog messages:
    > The hardware reports a non fatal, correctable incident occured on CPU 0.
    > I shut down the machine. After this my Athlon XP 2200+ showed up as 1050MHz
    > in BIOS an indeed the bus frequency was set to 100 instead of 133 MHz (how
    > can an OS change the BIOS?!) - nevertheless the CPU should have shown up as
    > 1500MHz. I set it back to 133 MHz - which resulted in the machine did not
    > even reach the BIOS no more but was rebooting automatically prior to it. I
    > turned off the machine for some seconds - no change. I turned it off for a
    > few minutes and the BIOS showed up again - with 1050MHz. So I had to set
    > the freq back to 133 MHz a second time. I booted my 2.4.21 kernel which
    > seems to run.
    Check your hardware CPU/MOBO/RAM. Overheating? Bad Ram? Cheap mobo?
    MCE should not be triggered under any circumstances unless it is a kernel
    bug(RARE, I believe the MCE code is simple) or you REALLY have a hardware
    problem. As said before, the bios is resetting your fsb to 100 as a fail-safe
    because something bad happened.
    BTW, check your setup, an AMD 2200+ should run at 1.8ghz i believe. If you
    are setting your FSB or multiplier too low, that might also be triggering a
    problem. A quick google lists amd xp2200+ as 1800mhz

    > What the fuck is going on here?? As far as I figured out this has something
    > to do with MCE (CONFIG_X86_MCE=y, CONFIG_X86_MCE_NONFATAL=y) (?).
    Leave it enabled, its a good thing to tell you when you have bad hardware.
    Its not a kernel problem, but a feature.
    Eric Bambach
    Eric at cisu dot net

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.022 / U:32.408 seconds]