SubjectRe: [RFC] Relaxed PIO read vs. DMA write ordering
Hi Jesse,

> > BTW, Jesse, did you look at part II of Documentation/DMA-ABI.txt?
>
> I remember seeing discussion of the new API, but haven't read that doc
> yet. Since most drivers still use the pci_* API, we'd have to add a
> call there, but we may as well make the two APIs as similar as possible
> right?

And there are reasons for drivers still using the pci_* API. In tms380tr,
i support both PCI and ISA cards. The pci_* API supports mapping ISA cards
for bus master DMA by passing a NULL for pdev. The new API still fails
because of the BUG_ON(dev->bus != &pci_bus_type). Unfortunately, on 64 bit
platforms like Alpha, the mapping is required to set up the IOMMU.

--jochen

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans