    SubjectRe: stability problems with 2.4.24/Software RAID/ext3
    On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 16:12, martin f krafft wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I operate a groupware server which is giving me a very hard time.
    > It's an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ with 1Gb of RAM, and four 7200 UPM IDE
    > harddrives, two attached to the primary channels of the onboard
    > controller, and two to the primary channels of a Promise 20269 EIDE
    > controller. The kernel is a 2.4.24 with the configuration I placed
    > here:

    Try replacing the Promise controllers with something diffrent (doesn't
    really matter what). I've helped a friend with a server that hung all
    the time, it had a few promise-controllers. After it had hung _lots_ of
    times we came to the conclusion that we should try some other IDE
    controllers (we had replaced everything else) and we borrowed a few
    HighPoint controllers. Guess what, the machine is stable with these
    controllers :)
    I don't have any more data than this.
    If you manage to get it stable with another controller, maybe you are
    willing to try to find out what the possible problems with the
    promise-driver (or hardware) is.

    The machine in question had two pdc20268 and two pdc20269 controllers
    (we tried with to combine them in all possible combinations, it hung
    anyway)

    So if you can, try some other controllers.

    I personally have a pdc20267 in my workstation that I stress quite
    heavily sometimes and I've never had any problems with it.

    --
    /Martin

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.038 / U:0.196 seconds]