    SubjectRe: Fw: Performance drop 2.6.0-test7 -> 2.6.1-rc2
    Jan Kasprzak <kas@informatics.muni.cz> wrote:

    > Andrew Morton wrote:
    > : Jan Kasprzak <kas@informatics.muni.cz> wrote:
    > : > - this is reliable: repeated boot back to 2.6.1-rc2 makes the problem
    > : > appear again (high load, system slow has hell), booting back
    > : > to -test7 makes it disappear.
    > :
    > : Is the CPU load higher than normal? Excluding I/O wait?
    >
    > No, ~30% system is pretty standard for this server. I have looked
    > just now (2.6.0-test7), and I have 33% system, about 50% nice,
    > and the rest is user, iowait and idle. Under 2.6.1-rc2 it was about 30%
    > system and the rest iowait, with small amount of nice and user.
    > However, the load may be different. It is hard to have any kind of
    > "fixed" load when you serve data over FTP, HTTP, rsync and do some
    > other minor tasks (updatedb, current/up2date server, ...).

    OK.

    > Do you still want the system profiling info?

    Nope.

    It would be interesting to run some simple benchmarks (dbench, iozone,
    tiobench, etc) on a relatively idle system.

    After that, it'd be a matter of searching through kernel versions, which
    you presumably cannot do. Or eliminating device mapper from the picture,
    which is also presumably not an option.

    Have you run `hdparm' to check that all those disks have DMA enabled? I
    guess they have.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.023 / U:1.368 seconds]