SubjectRe: Linux hangs on nVidia nForce2 400 Ultra

Theres been some work done on this issue lately. Originally, my system only
hung when I had IO-APIC and local APIC support compiled into the kernel. But I
think other people had hanging problems even without this.

You could first try using a 2.6-mm series kernel, as these include some
patches which fix nforce2 problems for most people (but not me).

The other option is to try Ross Dickinson's patches:

If you use Ross's patches, as well as the -mm fixes, you should revert out the
nforce-disconnect-quirk patch to avoid your CPU getting needlessly hot.

Personally, I have stability running 2.6.1-rc1-mm1 with the disconnect-quirk
reverted out, Ross's patches, booting with parameter apic_tack=2. I have
APIC/IOAPIC compiled in and working.

Herve Fache wrote:
> Hi chaps!
> My system hangs (no oops, nothing) on disk access using either 2.4.23 or 2.6.0. A rather reliable way for me to
> crash it is to, for example, copy the sources of the Linux kernel.
> It hanged once on CD-ROM access, which could lead to a more IDE-level problem. Also, the only time it did it in
> another operating system (humm...) was after it crashed in Linux and I pressed reset (no shut down), which
> makes me think it could the IDE controller [driver]'s fault...
> It seems I'm the only one on Earth to have this problem (according to Google), but if there was a way to track it
> down I'd be happy to try.
> I have attached my 2.6.0 kernel config for info.
> Thanks!
> Hervé.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.048 / U:0.336 seconds]