    SubjectRe: 2.6.2-rc2 Interactivity problems with SMP + HT
    Date
    On Friday 30 January 2004 02:25, Catalin BOIE wrote:
    >On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Robert M. Hyatt wrote:
    >> It might be some IDE disk I/O that results from flushing buffers
    >> or whatever. I don't see this on my SCSI boxes, but I have seen
    >> an IDE box get sluggish at times due to I/O.
    >
    >It is possible.
    >vmstat shows a lot of writes when this happen.
    >Seems that even reads hangs.
    >I remember tat I was in pine and I tried to save a small file (under
    > 1k) and it took 5-7 seconds to do it.

    I'm having similar problems with kmail on the later kernels. Sometimes
    it works just fine, and in the middle of typing a nessage it can get
    laggy as hell, cursor motions with the arrow keys are down to 1 space
    a second, and gkrellm is saying the user apps are at 100% cpu.
    Screen redraws for a page up or page down might take 3 or 4 seconds.
    Or it can get over it. (sometimes)

    >> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Nick Piggin
    >>
    >> wrote:

    >> > There haven't been many scheduler changes there recently so
    >> > maybe its something else.
    >> >
    >> > But you could try the latest -mm kernels. They have some
    >> > Hyperthreading work in them (you need to enable
    >> > CONFIG_SCHED_SMT).
    >> >
    >> > -
    >> > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
    >> > linux-smp" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    >> > More majordomo info at
    >> > http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Robert M. Hyatt, Ph.D. Computer and Information Sciences
    >> hyatt@uab.edu University of Alabama at
    >> Birmingham (205) 934-2213 136A Campbell Hall
    >> (205) 934-5473 FAX Birmingham, AL 35294-1170
    >
    >---
    >Catalin(ux) BOIE
    >catab@deuroconsult.ro
    >-
    >To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
    > linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org

    Cheers, Gene
    "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,
    ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
    by Gene Heskett are:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.027 / U:0.364 seconds]