SubjectRe: 2.6.0 performance problems
Date
Samium Gromoff wrote:
> Reality sucks.
>
> People are ignorant enough to turn blind eye to obvious vm regressions.
>
> No developers run 64M boxens anymore...

Developers shound NOT be running slow machines, but they should be
testing slow machines. I do my builds on a four way Xeon machine, and
install on a slow machine for test.

If you look at some of the response testing I'm doing, it's one a 96MB
p3-350, just for that reason. And I have a P5-133 I built but haven't
really benchmarked yet, it has only 64MB. I think the place such slow
machines are relevant is embedded, which is why I occasionally rant
about locking in code to hide Athlon CPU bugs which just wastes space on
unbroken machines.

I have a pile of 486 machines I want to run as firewalls, don't plan to
do kernel builds on those, either :-(

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc