    SubjectRe: Can't enable DMA on my DVD in 2.6.1?

    > /dev/hdd:
    > setting using_dma to 1 (on)
    > HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
    > using_dma = 0 (off)

    -EPERM is usually caused by not having your chipset compiled into the kernel
    or the chipset driver not supporting DMA.
    If the first is the case, try compiling in one or more chipsets you suspect
    are yours in Device Drivers->Char->(ALI Chipset support, ATI Chipset support
    etc.) and Device Drivers->ATA/ATAPI->(ALI Chipset support, AMD Chipset
    support) etc. etc. Find your chipsets and compile them into the kernel.
    If its the second case I have no idea if a particular driver isnt supporting
    DMA. AFAIK they all should. Thats a question for that particular chipset
    However your problem is most certainly the first. It escapes me which device
    section will solve your problem (CHAR or ATA/ATAPI) but try both, it won't
    hurt to have some un-used code in the kernel. You can always remove un-needed
    drivers when you pinpoint the driver you need.
    Eric Bambach
    Eric at cisu dot net

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.028 / U:163.624 seconds]