    SubjectRe: PATCH: (as177) Add class_device_unregister_wait() and platform_device_unregister_wait() to the driver model core
    In message <Pine.LNX.4.58.0401280304180.7851@serv> you write:
    > Hi Rusty,
    > On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Rusty Russell wrote:
    > > > Fixing this requires changing every single module, but in the end it
    > > > would be worth it, as it avoids the duplicated protection and we had
    > > > decent module unload semantics.
    > >
    > > And I still disagree. <shrug>
    > And I still don't know why. :(

    Exactly. So we have this same conversation over and over. It's the
    single most frustrating experience I've ever had in kernel
    development. 8( I was very disappointed you didn't make it to the
    kernel summit.

    > Well, the problem is that this won't be an one man show, it requires that
    > a number of kernel hackers understand the problem and the possible
    > solutions are discussed beforehand. I can understand that a lot here are
    > scared of such big change, but either we either continue complaining about
    > module unloading or we do something about it and this requires exploring
    > the various possibilities.

    Even if the perfect scheme were achieved, I don't think Linus would
    accept changing every module. I was originally agitating for a
    "perfect" solution, so few of us cared.

    Linus has said it simply isn't important. Many kernel developers
    basically agree.

    > Rusty, you are the modules maintainer, you are supposed to understand
    > these issues, if you already block a discussion like that, what am I
    > supposed to expect from others?

    I'm sorry. I tried to stay out of these discussions (hey maybe
    someone will come up with a great solution!), but when Linus posted
    something which was basically incorrect, I felt I had to clear the

    For me, this issue long ago used up its timeslice.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.021 / U:1.528 seconds]