SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH, 2/4] readX_check() performance evaluation

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Andi Kleen wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:28:56 -0800 (PST)
> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org> wrote:
>

> > Alternatively, if you get a lot of information at MCE time (CPU that did
> > the access + some device data), just queue up the information in a per-CPU
> > queue. You don't have to worry about overflow - you can just drop if if
>
> That assumes that the access happened with preempt off ?

Yes. I assume you want _some_ locking anyway, at least within that
particular device driver (you don't want to have an irq handler touch the
device at the same time you are doing this thing), so any such spinlock
would have disabled preemption anyway.

> That's fine if it's guaranteed that the MCE still happened inside
> readl/writel. But if it's delayed longer for some reason there is no guarantee
> that you can find back to the CPU that caused the fault.

Again, this is all depending on hardware implementation issues. It is
entirely possible that "read_pcix_error()" has to do some kind of
synchronization to make sure that any async operations have finished and
all errors have been accounted for.

Again, this is the whole reason for doing the separate "clear/read"
phases in error handling - exactly because hardware implementation may
make error handling fairly heavy-weight, so you don't want to do it on a
per-IO basis, but rather on a "per transaction" basis.

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:1.108 / U:0.012 seconds]