    SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH, 2/4] readX_check() performance evaluation

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Russell King wrote:
    > What if the failing PCI access happened in an interrupt routine?
    > (I'm thinking of the situation where you may need to read the PCI
    > status registers to find out whether an error occurred.)
    > Also, for that matter, what if a network device receives an abort
    > while performing BM-DMA?
    > Do we even care about either of these two scenarios?

    We do, and the people who care about readX_check() had better be careful.
    Quite possibly the "clear_pcix_error()" has to get a lock and disable
    interrupts, and the "read_pcix_error()" routine would release the lock.
    But that depends on the hardware - details like whether hardware can track
    individual errors on multiple CPU's or not.

    And keep in mind, 99% of all people won't ever care.

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.020 / U:0.272 seconds]