SubjectRe: Strange xmms deaths under high disk load
Hello World\n

> I have encountered a very strange (to me, at least) error. I can
> reliably cause xmms to crash by simply doing some intensive disk IO.
> Copying a few hundred megabytes usually does it. After about 20
> seconds of heavy disk IO, xmms will die with this message:

[...]

> Should I just call it an xmms bug, or should I start digging for
> hardware problems or kernel bugs?

Well, at least not hardware problems, I think. I don't know anything
about messages that xmms throws, but it hangs regularly under heavy
disk load. Usually clicking pause and play is enough to bring it back.
In case of doing anything else it hangs completely.
I have Athlon XP 1700+, sound via via82xx, ATA-100,
kernel 2.6.1 (with 2.6.0 was the same).
Had no problems with 2.4, but haven't used alsa then. Maybe i'll try to
debug it a bit more if i find some time.
chears,

--
Piotr Kowalczyk <pikov@piasta.pl>
PRDKW (iols)