SubjectRe: PPC KGDB changes and some help?
Date
On Tuesday 27 Jan 2004 3:36 am, Tom Rini wrote:

> > >The gdb I've been testing this with knows better than to try and send a
> > >singal back, so that's not a worry. The motivation behind doing this
> > >however is along the lines of "if it ain't broke, don't remove it". The
> > >original stub was getting all of this information correctly, so why stop
> > >doing it?
> >
> > You sure. If so what gdb? And how does it know? I suppose you could
> > tell it with a script, but then what if one forgets?
>
> GNU gdb 6.0 (MontaVista 6.0-8.0.4.0300532 2003-12-24)
> [snip]
>
> [New Thread 289]

> [Switching to Thread 289]
> 0x00000000 in ?? ()
> (gdb) c
> Continuing.
> Can't send signals to this remote system. SIGSEGV not sent.

This is because gdb tries packet "C" first. If that fails, which is the case
with kgdb, it falls back to packet "c". It doesn't need packet "C" for
SIGTRAP as it's used for breakpoints and single stepping and shouldn't be
delivered to a debuggee.

SIGSEGV has to be actually delivered to an application for it to die. A user
has a choice of correcting a bug on the fly and let the application continue
without segfaulting. It can tell gdb to continue the debugee without a
signal. It doesn't apply in case of kernel, so it's not a bug. Kernel anyway
"delivers" the signal, that is, continues with a panic once kgdb returns. We
don't offer a user the choice of correcting a segfault on the fly.

--
Amit Kale
EmSysSoft (http://www.emsyssoft.com)