SubjectRe: New NUMA scheduler and hotplug CPU

Andrew Theurer wrote:

>>>To me, it'd make more sense to add the CPUs to the scheduler structures
>>>as they get brought online. I can also imagine machines where you have
>>>a massive (infinite?) variety of possible CPUs that could appear -
>>>like an NUMA box where you could just plug arbitrary numbers of new
>>>nodes in as you wanted.
>>>
>>I guess so, but you'd still need NR_CPUS to be >= that arbitrary
>>number.
>>

>>>Moreover, as the CPUs aren't fixed numbers in advance, how are you going
>>>to know which node to put them in, etc? Setting up every possible thing
>>>in advance seems like an infeasible way to do hotplug to me.
>>>
>>Well this would be the problem. I guess its quite possible that
>>one doesn't know the topology of newly added CPUs before hand.
>>
>>Well OK, this would require a per architecture function to handle
>>CPU hotplug. It could possibly just default to arch_init_sched_domains,
>>and just completely reinitialise everything which would be the simplest.
>>

>Call me crazy, but why not let the topology be determined via userspace at a
>more appropriate time? When you hotplug, you tell it where in the scheduler
>to plug it. Have structures in the scheduler which represent the
>nodes-runqueues-cpus topology (in the past I tried a node/rq/cpu structs with
>simple pointers), but let the topology be built based on user's desires thru
>hotplug.

Well isn't userspace's idea of topology just what the kernel tells it?
I'm not sure what it would buy you... but I guess it wouldn't be too
much harder than doing it in kernel, just a matter of making the userspace
API.

BTW. I guess you haven't seen my sched domains code. It can describe
arbitrary topologies.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:1.585 / U:0.604 seconds]