    SubjectRe: pmdisk working on ppc (WAS: Help port swsusp to ppc)

    > > > Ah, also: The "Freeing memory" phase takes forever. That should
    > > > really be fixed.
    > >
    > > Well, it does the trick for me, but it takes 50% or so of suspend
    > > time. Some memory managment guru making "freeing memory" faster would
    > > certainly be welcome.
    > > Pavel
    > > PS: But I'd like to keep it simple...
    > Haven't looked at it yet. Several crash reports so far, mostly
    > lockups right after printing the number of pages to save. I wonder
    > if we have something broken in there. It dies for me once too at
    > this point.
    > Also, at least on pmac laptops, the HD is usually so fast, that
    > I suspect spending 10 seconds freeing things is less efficient than
    > spending this 10 seconds writing 200Mb of data to disk :) Also, one
    > wakup, it's quite painful to see everything be swapped in again. It
    > may make sense to be less agressive on the memory freeing, though
    > finding a good balance isn't easy.

    Notice that swsusp needs half of physical memory free by design. That
    means that we need _some_ freeing. Nigel's swsusp2 works around that
    at cost of more complicated implementation.
    [Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.019 / U:41.592 seconds]