SubjectRequest: I/O request recording
I would like to have a user space program that I could run while I cold
start KDE. The program would then record which I/O pages were read in
which order. The output of that program could then be used to pre-cache
all those pages, but in an order that reduces disk head movement.
Demand Loading unfortunately produces lots of random page I/O scattered
all over the disk.

Having a way to know which pages are accessed in which order at a
typical cold start would be very benefitial, not only for the purpose
described above but it could also be used as input for a linker code
reordering optimization.

What do you think?

Felix

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans