    SubjectRequest: I/O request recording
    I would like to have a user space program that I could run while I cold
    start KDE. The program would then record which I/O pages were read in
    which order. The output of that program could then be used to pre-cache
    all those pages, but in an order that reduces disk head movement.
    Demand Loading unfortunately produces lots of random page I/O scattered
    all over the disk.

    Having a way to know which pages are accessed in which order at a
    typical cold start would be very benefitial, not only for the purpose
    described above but it could also be used as input for a linker code
    reordering optimization.

    What do you think?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.017 / U:38.496 seconds]