SubjectRe: Solved: atkbd w 2.6.2rc1 : HowTo for extra (inet) keys ?
On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 04:28:30AM +0200, P. Christeas wrote:
> After spending my evening on it :-( I managed to find the correct keys for
> the Omnibook XE3:
> (I could only reverse-engineer the previous hack I 've had for it)
> Download and hack the 'console-tools' package (from sourceforge, project
> "lct") so that 'setkeycodes' does accept keycodes >127.
>
> Vojtech, is 512 the upper bound for <keycode> at setkeycodes?
>
> Using 2.6.2-rc1, issue:
> setkeycodes e071 236
> setkeycodes e072 237
> setkeycodes e073 238
> setkeycodes e074 239
>
> so that the upper (near the screen) row of "internet" buttons is assigned to
> the keys X expect to receive.
> e071 etc. can be found using 'showkey -s'
> I still don't get where 236 came from (so that I could help other kbds, as
> well).

The almost right solution here would be to write an xkb keyboard
description that matches the 2.6 keycode->scancode mappings, so that
once you get the 'setkeycodes' command right, both the kernel and X will
understand the keys correctly.

With your approach you got the keys correct solely in X, not the kernel.

I'll take a look at this.

The completely right approach would be to teach X to either use the
event interface or at least the medium raw mode.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR