    SubjectRe: Help port swsusp to ppc.

    > > (1) There's routine during resume that copies pages to their old
    > > locations. If you (would want to) have different kernel during resume,
    > > how do you guarantee that that "kernel being resumed" does not use
    > > memory ocupied by copying routine?
    > By having the copy routine sit elsewhere. You can have the copy routine
    > be in a known location of the kernel beeing resumed (that is it uses
    > its own copy routine) that is aligned on a page boundary and knows how
    > to copy itself. Fairly trivial.

    I said it is possible to solve. But "copy routine" becomes even more
    nasty than it is already.

    > > (2) Plus number of problems with devices grows with number of versions
    > > squared. To guarantee it works properly you'd have to test all
    > > combinations of "suspend kernel" and "resume kernel".
    > Why ? You aren't passing any device/driver information from the boot
    > kernel and the resumed one... do you ?

    I'm not passing device information, but devices *do* have internal
    state. I quiesce them before booting new kernel, but there's probably
    more than one way to quiesce devices...

    > > [(1) Could be solved by reserving 4KB somewhere for copy routine, and
    > > making sure copy routine is never bigger than 4KB etc. But I'd like to
    > > keep it simple and really don't want to deal with (2).]
    > Then you don't wnat to do things properly...

    No, I really do not want to make things more complicated in 2.6. And
    you should not want to complicate it, too.
    [Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.019 / U:14.168 seconds]