    SubjectRe: 2.6.1-mm5
    Christoph Hellwig <> wrote:
    > Any reason you keep CardServices-compatibility-layer.patch around?

    err, it's my way of reminding myself that the issue isn't fully resolved.
    Smarter people would use a pencil and a notebook or something.

    > Having a compat layer for old driver around just for some architectures,
    > thus having drivers that only compile on some for no deeper reasons sounds
    > like an incredibly bad idea. Especially when that API is not used by any
    > intree driver and only in -mm ;)

    Yes, we were concerned about avoiding breaking the various random
    out-of-tree pcmcia drivers which people use. Russell would prefer that if
    we _do_ have a compat layer it should be implemented in a different manner.

    But we're all fairly uncertain that the compat layer is needed - converting
    a driver is a pretty simple exercise, and Davd Hinds doesn't intend to
    maintain his drivers into 2.6.

    So the compatibility layer will probably go away soon, unless something
    happens to bring it back into consideration.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.021 / U:3.736 seconds]