SubjectRe: [RFC,PATCH] use rcu for fasync_lock
Date
Jamie Lokier wrote:

> We have found the performance impact of the extra ->poll calls
> negligable with epoll. They're simply not slow calls. It's
> only when you're doing select() or poll() of many descriptors
> repeatedly that you notice, and that's already poor usage in other
> ways.

I do agree with you, but there is a lot of old software, and software
written on/for BSD, which does do this. I'm not prepared to say that BSD
does it better, but it's easier to fix in one place, the kernel, than
many other places.

Your point about the complexity is also correct, but perhaps someone
will offer a better solution to speeding up select(). I think anything
as major as this might be better off in a development series, and that's
a clear prod for someone to find a simpler way to do it ;-)

Old programs grow; INN uses select and worked fine with 10-20 peers,
with 200 peers sharing 2m articles and 1 TB of data it seems to work
less well on Linux than BSD or Solaris. I'd love to see faster, there
are lots of other servers out there as well.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc