SubjectRe: 2.6.1: atkbd.c errors + mouse errors with a belkin KVM
On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 10:40:36PM +0100, Andries Brouwer wrote:

> > > It is not really an error - the kernel is just being a bit noisy.
> > > The 0x7a was really 0xfa, the ACK that a keyboard command succeeded.
> > >
> > > Sooner or later the noise will go away. For now it is more interesting
> > > to fix bugs in behaviour.
> >
> > Well, the kernel is quite rightfully noisy at this point - getting
> > unexpected ACKs is rather suspicious.
>
> Yes, I do not propose that you remove the noise today.
> But nothing is wrong.
>
> Several utilities access the keyboard directly. (For example X and kbdrate.)
> Since setting keyboard rate and starting X are rather common actions,
> most people will see these messages a few times in their syslog.

kbdrate is supposed to use the ioctls, as is X. Actually kbdrate does
use the ioctls on my systems.

> A few months from now, when we are satisfied that the keyboard code
> is in perfect shape, these messages can be silenced by default.

Actually, I think they could stay, because they'll not happen under
normal circumstances by then.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR