    SubjectRe: [1/4] better i386 CPU selection
    On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 04:01:33PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > I must say that I'm a bit wobbly about Adrian's recent patches, simply
    > because of the overall intrusiveness and conceptual changes which they
    > introduce.

    The only patch where I'd say this really applies to is
    better-i386-cpu-selection.patch .

    I'm really happy that you added it in the latest -mm and I'm even more
    happy that I haven't yet heard of any major breakage it has caused.

    But it's your decision whether you like this patch or prefer to drop it.

    > Remind me again, what did they buy us?

    The main effect is that better-i386-cpu-selection.patch makes it easier
    for people who configure kernels that should work on different CPU
    types. A user (= person compiling his own kernel) does no longer need
    any deeper knowledge when e.g. configuring a kernel that should run on
    both an Athlon and a Pentium 4 - he simply selects all CPUs he wants to
    support in his kernel.

    As a side effect, this patch allows further optimizations based on the
    fact that e.g. a kernel for an i386 no longer needs to support an Athlon
    which can be used to omit support for non-selected CPUs [1].

    [1] e.g. there's no need to include arch/i386/kernel/cpu/amd.c in your
    kernel if the kernel should only run on a 386;
    I made two such example patches that are _way_ too ugly for merging
    but show that this CPU selection scheme makes some more space
    savings possible

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.022 / U:70.992 seconds]