Subjectscheduler coolness
Date
just comparing notes:

i run 2.4.22 with OpenMOSIX and Win4Lin patches, as well as the 2 latest
security patches. For graphics, I use only gdm on the headless server (a P3
667 w/512MB) and a diskless NFS root X terminal thru XDMCP on the clients
(anything from celery 433 to P133). After worrying that my apps would knock
down the activity of the other users, I thought to nice all my processes and
let the masses have whatever Mozilla wants (since that's all they'll be
running ;) . The other terminals aren't even setup yet, but I was getting
severe sluggishness that made me thirst for GHz.

So after I hung up my terminal many times and watched it lock during heavy
user load, being the only user(!), I decided to go ahead and nice everything
under gdm. I edited /etc/X11/gdm/Xsession and put a 'nice' in every 'exec
somewindowmanager' and now everything is faster. I mean, the local X is far
more responsive, windows draw sooner, and apps don't momentarily hang the
display... I'm assuming this is due to gdm now having the highest priority in
userspace aside from the various daemons, thus less network latency and so
on. so all is grand.

any thoughts/comments?
(_besides_ that i'm mad for mixing OpenMOSIX and Win4Lin 8^)

--
Rob Couto
rpc@cafe4111.org