    SubjectRe: smp dead lock of io_request_lock/queue_lock patch
    Doug Ledford wrote:

    > More or less. But part of it also is that a lot of the patches I've
    > written are on top of other patches that people don't want (aka, the
    > iorl patch). I've got a mlqueue patch that actually *really* should go
    > into mainline because it solves a slew of various problems in one go,
    > but the current version of the patch depends on some semantic changes
    > made by the iorl patch. So, sorting things out can sometimes be
    > difficult. But, I've been told to go ahead and do what I can as far as
    > getting the stuff out, so I'm taking some time to try and get a bk tree
    > out there so people can see what I'm talking about. Once I've got the
    > full tree out there, then it might be possible to start picking and
    > choosing which things to port against mainline so that they don't depend
    > on patches like the iorl patch.

    If it leads to a more stable kernel, I don't see why iorl can't go in
    (user perspective) because RH is going to maintain it instead of trying
    to find a developer who is competent and willing to do the boring task
    of backfitting bugfixes to sub-optimal code.

    The only problem I see would be getting testing before calling it
    stable. Putting out a "giant SCSI patch" for test, then into a -test
    kernel should solve that. The fact that RH is stuck supporting this for
    at least five years is certainly both motivation and field test for any
    changes ;-)

    Clearly Marcello has the decision, but it looks from here as if
    stability would be improved by something like this. Assuming that no
    other vendor objects, of course.

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO TMR Associates, Inc