    SubjectRe: Proposed Enhancements to MD
    On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 03:29:45PM -0500, Chris Friesen wrote:
    > How is this different than the 20GB RAID0 and 6 15BB RAID1s that I've
    > got on two 100GB spindles right now?

    Indeed, md does this with partitions on the disks today, so it is
    analogous; DDF does this with disk extents, which has the same
    functionality as partitions, but without an MSDOS partition table to
    define the partitions, but an on-disk metadata format (yes, partition
    tables are metadata too...).

    The solution needs partitions/extents in two places.
    1) below the logical drive, from which logical drives are created.
    2) above the logical drive, on which multiple file systems are

    md provides 1) today, and as discussed today patches exist to do 2)
    that have not yet been merged.

    Matt Domsch
    Sr. Software Engineer, Lead Engineer
    Dell Linux Solutions
    Linux on Dell mailing lists @

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:2.290 / U:0.440 seconds]