SubjectHigh Quality Random sources, was: Re: SecuriKey
Impossible?  I think not.  Some "mechanical" devices do exhibit true
random capability, especially when enhanced by algorithmic means.
To wit: http://www.lavarand.org/

Let me know if you can prove their methods don't provide a true "high
quality" random source.

I'd like to see their code as a module with an automatic test to make
sure that the random source is high quality. In this case, that would
mean making sure that the cap was not off the camera.

sdw

tabris wrote:

> I should also mention that the problem with 'generating' an OTP via any
>mechanical or algorithmic means is impossible as at best an OTP will only
>be pseudo-random, and therefore with identical inputs (assuming it is
>possible, which we can assume here for the sake of theory and security),
>the same OTP can be generated, thus breaking our assumption/necessity of
>non-deterministic output.
>
> I'd say more but I'm on my way to work.
>- --
>tabris
>- -
>I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or
>whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man.
> -- Chuang-tzu
>
>-

swilliams@hpti.com http://www.hpti.com Personal: sdw@lig.net http://sdw.st

begin:vcard
fn:Stephen Williams
n:Williams;Stephen
org:High Performance Technologies, Inc.
adr:;;43392 Wayside Circle;Ashburn;VA;20147;US
email;internet:sdw@lig.net
title:Senior Technical Director
tel;work:703-724-0118
tel;fax:703-995-0407
tel;pager:sdwpage@lig.net
tel;home:703-729-5405
tel;cell:703-371-9362
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.hpti.com
version:2.1
end:vcard

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.209 / U:0.052 seconds]