Subjectpartition detection in 2.7
Christophe Saout wrote:
> The plan for Linux 2.7 is to rip out partition detection from the kernel
> and do everything in userspace (probably initramfs). So someone could
> start by making the partition detection code a library.

Linus just vehementally stated recently that partition parsing wouldn't
be leaving the kernel :)

However, I do think we will eventually move to a middle ground, where
partition parsing code will be in the kernel _source_ tree, but it will
be in initramfs as you describe.

The reason being is that block device attachment and setup is growing
more complicated over time, as people move to things like dm+lvm2+md or
iscsi+dm+evms. Thus, the support code to make those device combinations
to be used as a root device will get more and more complex.

RAID and device mapper were actually two big reasons why I am pushing
for klibc (pushed back to 2.7 now) and initramfs in the kernel source
tree. LVM, some EFI bits, dm, and md all have boot components are
mainly in the kernel because they need to happen (a) early and (b)
always, not because they actually need to be compiled into the kernel
image itself.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:1.021 / U:0.016 seconds]