SubjectRe: stability problems with 2.4.24/Software RAID/ext3
also sprach Marcelo Tosatti <marcelo.tosatti@cyclades.com> [2004.01.10.1306 +0100]:
> Did you ever try to disable the DMA as suggested?

I am sorry, Marcelo, that it took me so long.

In fact, I tried disabling the DMA and I could *not* get it to crash
without DMA. It did also not crash with DMA on for the onboard (VIA)
controller and off for the Promise. But when I turned DMA back on
for the Promise, it crashed again.

Martin Josefsson has suggested that the Promise controller may be
defective, and it certainly looks like that. I am now trying
a different Promise controller (20376 rather than the 20369, but
same driver), but it also crashes.

Thus, it looks like it's a problem with the driver, doesn't it? Or
either of the two disks. I will run badblocks over them on
a known-to-be-good controller when I get a chance.

If it's a problem with the driver, then I would be happy to help,
but I know nothing about these layers of the computer. I would,
however, give the controller away to someone eager to debug the
driver (provided the university will let me)!

Cheers,

--
martin; (greetings from the heart of the sun.)
\____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net@madduck

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

a qui sait comprendre, peu de mots suffisent.
-- intelligenti pauca

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.891 / U:0.540 seconds]