SubjectRe: [discuss] Re: kgdb for x86_64 2.6 kernels
Date
George,

Well said!

I have released kgdb 2.0.1 for kernel 2.6.1:
http://kgdb.sourceforge.net/linux-2.6.1-kgdb-2.0.1.tar.bz2

It doesn't contain any assert stuff. I have split it into multiple parts to
make a merge easier. Please let me know if you want me to further split them
or if you want something to be changed. The README file from this tarball is
pasted below.

Here is two possible starting points:
1. SMP stuff -> Replace my old smp and nmi handling code.
2. Early boot -> Change 8250.patch to make configuration of serial port either
through config options or through command line.

I'll attempt reading your patch and merging as much stuff as possible.
Thanks.

Patch:
------
Patch the kernel out of following patches.
core.patch - KGDB architecture and interface independent code. Required.
i386.patch - i386 architecture dependent part. Required only for that
architecture.
x86_64.patch - x86_64 architecture dependent part. Required only for that
architecture.
8250.patch - Generic serial port (8250 and 16550) interface for kgdb. This
is the only working interface in this release. Hence required.
eth.patch - Ethernet interface for kgdb. This is still under development.
Use only if you plan to contribute to its development.

Build:
------
Enable following config options (in this order).

Kernel hacking ->
KGDB: kernel debugging with remote gdb ->
KGDB: Thread analysis
KGDB: Console messages through gdb
Device drivers ->
Character devices ->
Serial drivers ->
KGDB: On generic serial port (8250)

Boot:
-----
Supply command line options kgdbwait and kgdb8250 to the kernel.
Example: kgdbwait kgdb8250=1,115200

--
Amit Kale
EmSysSoft (http://www.emsyssoft.com)